Sunday, October 29, 2006

Greeky Hat


Greeky Hat
This hat is a great way to work with two colors because you only use one color per row. You bring the other color up the row using slip stitches. It is much easier than fairisle or intarsia. All you need to know to make this hat is how to knit, purl, and slip sts. The bottom band has to be knit back and forth but the top portion can be done on a circular needle if you desire. I am writing this pattern for straight needles all the way because it is aimed toward a beginning knitter. You can easily adapt the pattern yourself though. As always this pattern is free to make for yourself or for a gift but cannot be made for profit. If you wish to share the pattern share the link to this site and not the pattern itself.

This hat would look really neat with a varigated yarn for color A and a solid color yarn for color B especially black.

(FYI: In my hat Yellow was color A and Pink was color B)

Materials:
Size 8 Knitting needles
2 colors worsted weight yarn
Darning needle

NOTE: One the odd #'d rows slip sts with yarn in back, on even #'d rows slip sts with yarn in front. I slipped all sts purlwise.

With Color A cast on 82 sts
R1 (Right Side): With A, Knit
R2: With A, Purl
R3: With B, K1, *K8, slip 2* repeat from * to * ending K1
R4: With B, Purl all Knit stitches, and Slip all slipped stitches from previous row.
R5: With A, K1, *slip 2, K4, slip 2, K2* repeat from * to * ending K1
R6: With A, Purl all Knit stitches, and Slip all slipped stitches from previous row.
R7: With B, K1, *K2, slip 2, K4, slip 2* repeat from * to * ending K1
R8: With B, Purl all Knit stitches, and Slip all slipped stitches from previous row.
R9: With A, K1, *slip 2, K8* repeat from * to * ending K1
R10: With A, Purl all Knit stitches, and Slip all slipped stitches from previous row.
R11: With B, Knit
R12: With B, Purl
R13: With A, *K4, slip 2, K4* repeat from * to * ending K2
R14: With A, Purl all Knit stitches, and Slip all slipped stitches from previous row.
R15: With B, K2, *slip 2, K2, slip 2, K4* repeat from * to *
R16: With B, Purl all Knit stitches, and Slip all slipped stitches from previous row.
R17: With A, *K4, slip 2, K2, slip 2* repeat from * to * ending K2
R18: With A, Purl all Knit stitches, and Slip all slipped stitches from previous row.
R19: With B, *K6, slip 2, K2* repeat from * to * ending K2
R20: With B, Purl all Knit stitches, and Slip all slipped stitches from previous row.
R21: With A, Knit
R22: With A, Purl

Cut yarn A and tie to yarn B. Continue in stockinette stitch with color B until the solid color portion is equal to the motif portion. Begin Decrease.

DecR1: K2, *K9, K2tog* repeat from * to * ending K3
DecR2: Purl
DecR3: Knit
DecR4: Purl
DecR5: K2, *K8, K2tog* repeat from * to * ending K3
DecR6: Purl
DecR7: K2, *K7, K2tog* repeat from * to * ending K3
DecR8: Purl
DecR9: K2, *K6, K2tog* repeat from * to * ending K3
DecR10: Purl
DecR11: K2, *K5, K2tog* repeat from * to * ending K3
DecR12: Purl
DecR13: K2, *K4, K2tog* repeat from * to * ending K3
DecR14: P2, *P3, P2tog* repeat from * to * ending P3
DecR15: K2, *K2, K2tog* repeat from * to * ending K3
DecR16: P2, *P1, P2tog* repeat from * to *
DecR17: K2tog across

Slip all sts back to other needle and cut yarn leaving a long tail for sewing up seam. Thread yarn onto darning needle and one by one slip sts onto yarn tail and off of needle. Pull tight and secure yarn on inside of hat. Sew up the side seam. Weave in ends and you are finished!

11 comments:

Susan said...

Question about your pattern - do you slip the same stitches when you are purling the rows? I tried purling the slipped stitches, and the pattern seemed to not be coming out correctly. Please help! I want to make this neat hat for my stepdaughter who is a classics major in college.

Kody May said...

Yes you do slip all the stitches slipped in the previous row.

barbara said...

This is my first two color hat. I like that only one color per row is used. My design doesn't look like yours. I just noticed comment. I didn't understand how you slipped even rows with yarn in front because it never stated to slip any stitches. I will try again. Rows 11 & 12 are they all knit & purl and rows 21 & 22 all knit & purl. Love checking out your patterns. Thanks for your help.

Kody May said...

Yuppers you got the concept!

Anonymous said...

A few quick questions: Do you know what your gauge was when you made this hat? Also, what size head (inches around) does the hat fit, and if you need to make the hat to fit a different sized head, how would you adjust the pattern? (For example, I'm making it for a boy with a 21 1/2 inch head, and I want to make sure it'll fit him.) Thanks in advance for the help.

Kody May said...

I hate guage so I don't usually take it on my hat patterns. Only super important things like sweaters. This hat is really stretchy so the cast on will stretch to fit and not be too tight. Everyone who has tried on this hat it has fit even my mom who has a hard time with hats due to her large noggin. You will just want to make sure to knit the hat a little bit longer for a person with a bigger head so that when it does stretch it doesn't make the hat too short to stay on securely. Hope this helps you!

Sandy Hobson said...

Hello, I'm new to knitting with two colors. I was wondering, whenever I change colors on a new row like in this pattern, do I have to cut the yarn from the previous color or do I leave it all sort of attached?

Thanks for the help!

Anonymous said...

I just finished this hat and it came out really well. The pattern was easy to follow. I started with 1" of k.1 p.1. rib (for more grip) then I worked the pattern, then 16 rows of the main colour before I decreased. I have a small head so its slightly big for me but fits my husband perfectly he has a large shaved head. I made it in grey with the pattern in black....THANKS!!!!

Anonymous said...

I have been searching for a masculine hat and I love this pattern. I must have skipped a row because the bottom section of the pattern turned out great, but the top section is not right...but you know what I am still gonna go with it because it looks good. lol.
thank you so much for putting your wonderful patterns up!
Jolene
ps this is a Christmas gift.

Anonymous said...

just wanted to thank you for this fantastic pattern- I am a complete beginner so to be able to knit such a great looking hat is really cool, I really enjoyed it. good work!

Anonymous said...

The pattern is really fun. I find that if you double the length of the motif on the upper part, it may be a bit large. Do watch that if you prefer your beanie to be a bit more snug and not too long. Also, don't be afraid to drop a needle size. Done on size 8s, the hat is plenty big! It's very cute and gets raves from friends who then ask me to make this for them. At least one friend wants the link.
Really well done, Kody. I've followed this without too much trouble and I have ADHD!