Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Give Me Butterflies Hat Pattern


GivesMe Butterflies Hat Pattern
The little butterflies are absolutely gorgeous!!! Plus the hat is super simple to make! You will easily memorize it! Make it for yourself or for a gift but you cannot sell them and if you share the pattern share the link and not the pattern itself. Happy Knitting.

Materials:
  • Worsted Weight Yarn ( I used less than one skein of Paton Soy Wool Silk)
  • Size 8 knitting needle (It was knit on straight needles)
  • Darning needle

Pattern:

Cast on 79 stitches

Do 2 rows of K1, P1 ribbing (you can do more if you want the hat to hug you around the face. I just put them in so the stockinette st base would not curl.) The begin pattern rows.

Rows 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 (RS): K2, *sl 5 wyif, K5* rep from * to * ending sl 5 wyif, K2.

Rows 2, 4, 6, and 8: Purl

Row10: P4, *(on the next stitch which should be the center stitch of the slipped stitch group insert the right hand needle down through the 5 loose strands, bring the needle up and transfer the 5 strands to left hand needle, then purl the 5 strands and the next stitch together as one stitch) P9* repeat from * to * ending last repeat P4.

Row 11, 13, 15, 17, and 19: K7 *sl 5 wyif, K5* repeat from * to * end slip 5, K7.

Row 12, 14, 16, and 18: Purl

Row 20: P9 *(insert needle down through 5 loose strands bring them up and purl them together with next st as before), P9* rep from * to *

Repeat rows 1-20 As many times as you need to make the hat the length you want, ending after either row 10 or 20 you can begin the decrease rows.

D(ecrease) Row1: *K8, K2 tog* repeat from * to * across row ending K9.

DRow2: *P7, P2tog* repeat from * to * across row.

DRow3: *K6, K2tog* repeat from * to * across row.

DRow4: *P5, P2tog* repeat from * to * across row.

DRow5: *K4, K2tog* repeat from * to * across row.

DRow6: *P3, P2tog* repeat from * to * across row.

DRow7: *K2, K2tog* repeat from * to * across row.

DRow8: *P1, P2tog* repeat from * to * across row.

DRow9: K2tog across row.

Slip all stitches to the opposite needle and cut yarn leaving a long tail to sew up seam. Thread yarn onto darning needle and slip each stitch off knitting needle and onto darning needle, pulling up tight. Secure then sew up the seam and weave in the ends. Enjoy!

29 comments:

sarah lou said...

kody, it's gorgeous! i will so be making some of these after Christmas. i heart sws almost as much as you do!!

Anonymous said...

Your patterns are amazing. I am a new knitter and I don't know how to use double pointed needles. I am hoping to learn so I can try some of your patterns. Keep up the great work. Denise in Florida
deebriese@yahoo.com

dandelionpicker said...

I am a new knitter, basically I can only knit scarves since they go in a straight line! Your hats are gorgeous! You've inspired me to learn how to make them! Wish me luck!

Kody May said...

I am so happy! Good Luck!!!!!!

Cris said...

that butterfly hat is awesome. i've been wanting to try SWS yarn and now you've given me a reason to use it.

Purl Princess said...

this hat is absolutely amazing. I just made a hat for myself that I designed, but didn't turn out right. I think if i have some extra yarn, I'll make another one.

Marti said...

Kody,
you are a very talented knitter and designer! You should charge for your patterns! I really like all of them and am dying to try them. Do you ever use chunky yarn and bigger needles? I have some arthritis and its hard for me to use smaller needles.
Anywho, keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

This is such a beautiful pattern! I have to make one for my best friend! Thank you for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

I fell in love with this hat as soon as a saw it.
But I have a few questions with the pattern.
1. Is the needles a 8 US, 8 Imperial or 8 metric?
2. Could you please elaborate on what to do for "sl 5 wyif". I have no idea was wyif means.
I am fairly new to kniting and so far have only done basic patterns.

Kody May said...

wyif means with yarn in front. This is what makes the strand of yarn for the butterfly. ANd they are 8 US.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kody,
This hat is adorable and such a fun quick knit.
Just want to thank you for posting all these free patterns, the are wonderful and so are you. I do a lot of charity knitting and I am always looking for new and fun patterns. Keep them coming!
Best, Laurie

Anonymous said...

this is hat is beautiful!! i'd love to give it a try. could it be knit on circular needles instead of straight? would you just change the even rows to knit instead of purl? would you change the number of total stitches too? thanks!

Kody May said...

yup just change purl to knit!

Anonymous said...

This is so cute and my next to do project. Keep up the wonderful great work and thanks a lot for the patterns!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! This is my next to do project. Congratulations, you're such a talented knitter. Keep up the great work and thank you so much for all the beautiful patterns.

Anonymous said...

I have a question about Row 10 of this pattern. The even numbered rows are the WS of the knit, right?. So it's confusing how I have to pick them up with the needle if they are on the other side of the work. Sorry if my question is silly, but I'd rather make sure to understand instructions fully before I even attempt doing it. Thank you very much for all the beautiful patterns.

Kody May said...

That is correct you are purling them together then purling through the next 9 stitches.

Anonymous said...

Woohoo!! I just finished my hat and it just looks awesome. Everybody thinks the stitch pattern looks soooo difficult to knit. They don't know it just looks like it. I can't wait to try another one of your patterns. Thanks again so very much!
Silvia de Castillo from Guatemala City.

Kody May said...

Thanks so much for leaving your city I love thinking of my patterns in all the different corners of the world. I love this hat because of how complicated it looks but how truly simple it is! It knits up so fast I could hardly believe it. I will be posting a new hat pattern right after this post, a lace pattern that looks complicate but is super simple.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! This hat is gorgeous and I am about to make one as a gift to my sister! I'll post back when I get it completed....

Thanks so much for sharing these GORGEOUS patterns!

Crystal - Edmonton, Alberta (Canada)

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm an intermediate knitter, but have looked at your patterns since i first started knitting (I found it through a link looking for some new things to try). Anyway, i really love alot of your patterns and settled on this one. I was just wondering, I learned about gauge and so forth and was wondering if you have one for your pattern. It would help alot since I don't have a size 8. And, i think I might have just a slightly different type of yarn. And, all i can say is that i live far up North on the Globe but not as far as Canada (close though). Thanks for taking the time to reply back to the posts also.

-Angel-Bee-Bop ~:*)

Tawny said...

Hi Kody May! I had the same question: What is the gauge for this hat? I thought it was so adorable! But I have a different yarn I want to use, so needed a gauge. I have Homespun by Lion Brand Yarn. Thanks! Love your patterns!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kody May,i love your patterns!I made this hat for my 11 year old daughter,it's beautiful-thank you very much!

Pa KnitWit said...

Thank you so much for your patterns. wish i were that talented to make them up on my own!

Can you tell me what WYIF stands for?
Thanks!

Kody May said...

Thanks! It stands for With Yarn In Front

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

Could you elaborate on Row 10 for me? I'm getting confused on what exactly to do after the Purl 4....slip the next five to my right needle and then purl back through those 5 with the left? I've read it as slowly as possible and it still isn't making sense....

Knit-a-holic said...

Wow! The hat is so pretty! Great choice of yarn and colors. I can't wait to try it!

jaycutler said...

inventory journal

operation software

director software

driver software

factory software

pub software

baker software

baker software

county software

dancing log