Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Hoppy Easter! Egg Cozy


I saw a filet cross egg cozy I wanted to make a couple for easter. Then I saw amigurumi egg cozies were available but very limited. (And I got a big package of plastic easter eggs from the dollar store so...) I decided to make a frog egg cozy as my mother in law loves frogs. Who says egg cozies have to be all bunnies and chicks. This egg cozy uses very little yarn.


Materials Needed

Worsted weight yarn in green, as well as scraps of white, red, and black.

Size G and E crochet hooks

1 plastic easter egg

1 stitch marker for marking beginning/end of row

large eye needle for attaching parts and weaving in ends.

Optional materials: Small amount of stuffing for eyes. (I used yarn tail scraps) Black beads, eyes, or puff paint if you don't want to embroider the black dots on eyes. (I used puff paint)



Main Body

With Green and G hook:

4 sc in magic circle, place marker and work in spiral

Increase in each st around to stitch marker

(Inc, 1 sc) around to stitch marker

(Inc, 2 sc) around to stitch marker

(Inc, 3 sc) around to stitch marker

(Inc, 4 sc) around to stitch marker

Work 6 rows even (sc in every stitch)

(Dec, 2 sc) around to stitch marker

Fasten off


Eyes (Make 2)

With size E hook and White

4 sc in magic loop

Switch to green and Inc in each st around (8sc)

Work 2 row even (Stuff with stuffing or yarn scraps)

Dec around to stitch marker (4 sc) Fasten off leaving a long tail weaving in and out of remaining stitches to draw eye closed. Then used remainder of tail to sew to body. Embroider, or paint on black dot. I suggest embroidering mouth at this point as well.

Arms (Make 2) Work in the butt of all sc's for nicer finished arm

With Green and E Hook

Chain 10 turn

Sc in the 2nd chain from hook and in each of next 2 sc

Chain 3 turn

Sc in 2nd chain from hook and the next sc

Chain 4 turn

Sc in the 2nd chain from hook and in each of next 2 sc, 6 sc in foundation chain. Fasten off leaving a long tail for attaching to body.

Feet (Make 2)

With Green and E Hook

6 sc in magic ring.

Inc in each sc around to stitch marker

(Inc, 1 sc) around to stitch marker

Fasten off and fold circle in half, sew edges together. This will form a half circle, you may stuff it lightly before sewing if you wish, I left mine empty.


Attach arms and legs to body. Weave in all ends, and insert egg! Happy Knitting!

4 comments:

Ms Mackie said...

Hi Kody May! So good to see you posting again ..
I was afraid you'd deserted us. lol. ♥

luan said...

Nice tutorial.
I wish I have read about this before Easter, but its already passed. I will try this out next year. I think it's a good idea for egg hunting, they'll probably won't notice it.
LOL

Mika from porte-jarretelle 

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't mind if I leave one great big "Thank you" instead of one on each individual pattern--you have so many great patterns that it would take a long time to do that! I really appreciate your generosity and your talent. Thank you for sharing!

jaycutler said...

inventory journal

operation software

director software

driver software

factory software

pub software

baker software

baker software

county software

dancing log